Monday, December 26, 2005

Riverside is Grey



A week or so ago I went to Riverside to paint with the Riverside Plein Air painters association. We went to a old castle like estate that’s been converted to a Christian kind of work farm for teens called Teen Challenge. Most of the painters painted the main building, I wandered around back where they have a vineyard. Sometimes a grey day will present you with and interesting problem to solve, other times you just do a blah painting. The vineyard one isn't my best, but I decided to post it anyway it the sprit of keeping fresh material on the blog. The palm tree one was from later in the afternoon. On the way home I stopped and spontaneously decided to paint this view, the light was going fast so I had to work fast. It's a bit rushed looking, but I like it better that the morning painting. A simple design is often better.

12 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

The lower one doesn't catch my eyes so well, but I love the top one. It looks like there's kind of a "backwoods" element to it.

1:40 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

That's funny how that works.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Dik Pose said...

Nice pieces man...that second one catches my eye!

1:00 AM  
Blogger aw said...

you have a way with trees!

12:52 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Dic-- I like it better to. I think that spot could yeild a good painting.

2:58 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thinks AW nice of you to say , but I still feel like I'm learning how to do them.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Process Junkie said...

Great stuff Bill! It's nice to see you evolve, developing both your eye and hand at capturing the atmospheric quality of the subject matter you're conveying, I can see your confidence gowing with every new painting, your brush strokes become more and more decisive, essential and to the point. Avante!

BTW: talking about essential strokes, that Jennifer Mc Christian is something else, gosh!

-Alberto

12:04 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:14 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Alberto,

I'm working hard at it.

You are defiantly doing some of the best digital girl stuff out there, it's always exciting to see your latest stylizations.
I agree Jennifer is a inspiring painter, I'm lucky she willing to go out and panting with me.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

wow. the palm tree painting as a "it just rained a few minutes ago" feel to it. a real nice moody quality to it.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Cheryll said...

Funny how this works! I agree that the palm trees do leap out as being a more dynamic painting (even if I don't know the why of it) --

But the vineyard looks like home. Gosh your stuff makes me homesick!

Must be an age thing... cause I'm sure if you asked, I'd tell you that I don't like 'watercolor' or 'impressionist' -- whatever those turn out to be, LOL.

Love your style and subjects.

12:29 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Dan! I didn't rain, but it was that kind of lighting.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home