Tuesday, December 19, 2006

SLO Show and...


Freight Train 9x12 oil on ray Mar linen for the show but sold before the show

I've been too busy to give a blow by blow of my show trip, but I'll try and give it a quick go. I went up with Sharon and the bird Friday the eighth crashing at the gallery owner's guesthouse up on Gorton Mountain.

Great views and hospitality extend by Ralph and his lovely fiancee Carrie and their cute little button Rainier. Pictured is Rainier, Ralph and Sharon at a local dock.


Sunset Drive In Marquee 8x10 oil RMLP

I managed to do a small painting the next day at the sunset Drive in the afternoon between light rainfall and magnificent patches of sunlight trying to break thru. By the time I finished it started to rain pretty hard. By the time we were ready to go to the show It wasn’t raining, it was a full-blown storm coming down in sheets. We braved it, I'd have stayed home if I could have. Unfortunately, most everyone else was saner then we were and did stay home. A real disappointment, thankfully tempered by the fact Ralph and his Gallery director Ken sold 7 paintings the week before the show. We sold one during the show, met the other artists and a few brave collectors.

My friend for Wet Canvas Ron Guthrie and a few hardy collectors who braved the storm were a pleasure to meet.

Sharon and Mookie went back on Sunday and my old painting pal Tony Peters showed up on Monday and we drove up to San Francisco to visit museums and galleries. That was kind of a disappointment as most of the galleries were pretty commercial.


We did see a tasty little Ray Turner show and discovered a great artist at Hackett- Freedman named Ann Gale who just blew us away with her great drawing, subtle color with a modern / traditional brushy painting combination I can only dream about achieving.
Were got tons of great reference photo's of San Francisco and then dropped down to Stockton for the JC Leyendecker show.




Knowing his body of work, it's not a great show in the sense that there were few of his best covers there or any Arrow colors pieces, but it was still amazing. I think I'm finally knowledgeable enough about painting to have formed a pretty good theory on how he worked.
We got more industrial photos in Stockton and found out why you should never stay at a Howard Johnson's. Basically it sucks rancid donkey balls in hell. Guy put his girlfriend head though a window while we were there. Floors had the original rugs from the eighties.If this is supposed to be a decent place to stay for budget minded Black people I can see why they are pissed of at the deal society hands them. I hope when they do a corporate take over of HJ they just burn them all to the ground. Artists on a budget or not, next time a few bucks more and the Ramada.

13 Comments:

Blogger tonypetersart said...

Hey man, glad we could do the trip, it was fun. I agree that the Stockton Howard Johnson doesn't compare to staying in Ralph's swanky mountain-top guest house... but Stockton isn't exactly paradise to begin with.

I never saw that train painting of yours, it looks good. I can't wait to paint that drive-in theater too.

11:31 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Oh I think Stockton was a reference paradise. Will I be moving there? Ahhh... no. I guess there are nice areas we were in South Stockton, not ever a good area according to the cop that was running my jacket.

12:14 AM  
Blogger chia said...

hot damn! the colors on that train painting made my nose bleed! I've been absent from the blog scene for a bit and it's great catching up and having my brain melt all over again.

2:52 AM  
Blogger belindadelpesco.com said...

Thanks for sharing the Ann Gale & Leyendecker pics.... always a pleasure to see good art, including yours!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Jon Conkey said...

Looks like you truly bathed in the sea of culture; hope it didn't leave scars. What is "running my jacket?", living underground has keep me from the light. You sure know how to maximize your experiences, I'm very enlightened by your keen eye for good work. Leyendecker's work is an example of virtuosity at it's finest; his name literally means "legend-maker". Looking forward to your article in SWA. Much Mahalo!

11:32 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Erich,

Where did you go. Are you a big time poker player now?

7:47 PM  
Blogger glamaFez said...

I like the subtlety of your drive-in painting.

Those are the first close-up Leyendecker images I've ever seen. Every brushstroke is like a new painting lesson.

Thanks for posting them!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

Sweet Bloggy Goodness! Wray Style. Just the way I like it. A little bit of this and a whole lot of that. I like my blog hot and heavy and this blog serves it up real nice like. Ooohhhh.... Tasty. I'll take some Leyendecker please. A little bit of Wray Train action is all good too. Heap it up on the plate and don't be chintzy.

Thank you, sir. Satisfaction!

12:51 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Belinda,

JC has always been a revelation, the greatest art secret ever. AG is something new, her work hit me because it's exactly what I want to do: merge classic skills with a modern approach.

10:39 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:44 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Jon,
Running my Jacket is a variation of the police looking for outstanding warrants. They held me for about 15 minutes for trying to sneak into the port of Stockton. I didn't see their camera system. Should have just tried to see if I could go in, but usually I don't bother because of red tape.

10:46 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Glam, he's amazing . You can stare at them forever.

10:47 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Dan, how did the marathon go? It's your turn for the bloggy blow by blow.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home