Wednesday, January 17, 2007

East of Chinatown


Naud Street Trailer 8x10 oil on prepared watercolor paper.

Sorry It's been so long since a new post, I've been down with the stomach flu.
Here is a little group of Pa's done right around the same neighborhood east of Chinatown between North Broadway and Main in Los Angles. It's An industrial area that I'm sure will be turned into lofts soon as they are breaking ground for a city park there.
We have been hitting this same area for several weeks and these are some of the results.
The trailer one will have to be the first place to go. The street dead ends at the L.A. River and there is literally a couple of homeless guys open air living rooms there. One lives in the trailer which is next to a garbage hauling business. He seems to be the unofficial guard of the area as he lives in the trailer.


Maybe a meth causality that the garbage owners feel sorry for? He's always running around with junk likes he's doing something, but is just moving stuff around, typical Meth behavior or he could just be full of energy...?


North Broadway Bridge 8x10 oil on linen panel


Baker Street8x10 oil on linen panel

The Bridge is the North Broadway bride. On the west side and the Baker Street view is looking west back at Los Angles, if you turned around from the bridge shot. The latter two had a unpleasant burning Sharpie maker odor smell while working, I like to used that as the excuse for the perspective drawing being off in both of them.

17 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I love the North Broadway Bridge shots. I always like the undersides of bridges.
Your depiction of an LA skyline is awesome.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Chris Ousley said...

Great work as usual. I googled and looked at more of Seago's work. I have never heard of him until your site. I really see the influence in your work.
Your perspective is "close enough for jazz" as my drawing teacher used to say.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Ed Terpening said...

Glad to see you are back and feeling better. Love the Baker Street piece. Is it cool to use the haughty "piece" when describing a painting of blight :-D

4:49 PM  
Blogger tonypetersart said...

I especially like that Baker Street painting, that's quite a composition. I like your color choices.

Makes me miss painting plein-air in LA.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You ended up painting graffitti.
These pieces are very urban…¡¡Yuummm
I want to paint a caravan of these. You come to paint one? hehehe

6:00 AM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

Who among us knew that just East of Chinatown lay a vast treasure of inspiration for the man known to us as William Wray?

Like you, I never suspected such. But that lack of clarity has been replaced with a crystal clear certainy.

Baker Street is my favorite in this grouping.

Good day.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Ryan Evans said...

I Like the trailer painting- the light really seems to shine as it hits the front part.

Superb

2:01 PM  
Blogger Matt Taylor said...

The painting with the graffitied up trailer is amazing, you got some of the most subtle deatails in there, and the graffiti itself must have been a pain in the ass. Is that a painting? It's hurting my head. Great stuff. I like the Liquor Store too.

2:21 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

You definitely captured the look and feel - smell(?)- of the place(s). Added the magic element the glass lens cannot quite get and rendered the scene beautiful. Still the kolor king!

10:57 AM  
Blogger ANDREW JUDD said...

I second brothergrimm, ed terpening and tonypetersart.
I like the bridge painting a lot. Great color and composition! Can't wait for the next pics.

Cheers... Andrew

10:10 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Bg I've been so busy it's tough to find the time to reply.

10:55 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey C. Yeah Seago is a huge influnce, try looking up Edward Wesson. Almost Seago's clone, but he's very good.

10:56 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thatks Ed, did I ever tell you how much I like the painting you use for your blog header? Nice.

10:58 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Tony come on up... Let's paint!

10:58 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Qstom,

Are you thinking the photo is a painting?

10:59 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Dan you're so indispensably verbose, I like that about you.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Chuck Rose said...

How do people react to you when they see you painting? The meth guy made me wonder about this?

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home