Sunday, June 24, 2007

El Monte Light & Eric Merrell class




Here is a trailer along the San Gabriel River where Sharon and I bike most weekends. This is in El Monte near a little Mexican Rodeo arena. I liked how the light was hitting the trailer and the simple elements framing it.

I also want to mention a friend and fellow painter I admire is having a Plein Air in Malibu next weekend Information below-- He's a good teacher and great artist at 29! I was going to take the class myself this weekend as I'm getting to tight again and want to get back to simpler more stylized painting with more feeling than tight painting. To bad I am jammed with freelance work. He's great with color and simplifying scenes down to their essence.


Eric's work--"Stability."

#931 - Plein Air in Malibu

Instructor: Eric Merrell
Dates: Fri.-Sun., June 29th-July 1st, 9am-4pm
Cost: $300
In this workshop you will learn how to paint what you see, not what you think you see. Learn how to interpret Nature in terms of paint, using light and color to create form. Color relationships, design/composition and all the aspects of painting outdoors will be discussed as well. What better time or place to study color than sun-drenched summer in Malibu, California? Ample time will be given each day to the demos by the instructor as well as individual painting time for the students.

Visit www.ericmerrell.com or www.laafa.org for more info.


CALL TO REGISTER: 818.708.9232

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Beautiful shadow work on the bottom one! I like seeing people my age with this kind of understanding.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I remember this trailer or is it that after awile they all start looking alike?

12:58 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Yes! Woo hoo!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Chris Ousley said...

Good work as usual. Thanks for the link to Eric's site. I like his work a lot.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Marlo said...

you are a smart colorer

4:08 AM  
Blogger Ed Terpening said...

I think I first discovered Eric on your blog, and glad I did. I really like his work. Turns out one of his first art teachers was Jim Smyth, someone I studied with. Eric is legend at that school. He really blew Jim away, which is not easy for someone who's been teaching forward and has personally trained at just about every great art school in Europe.

I checked into Eric's classes, but most of them seemed to be over several weeks, and as I'm up north, it's not practical. I'll get to study with him sometime...

10:03 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Super light in this piece - very soothing!

I really like Eric's piece too! That shadow is breathtaking!

8:30 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

BG yeah Eric is tops. makes me sick I didn't take fine art seriously at his age.

12:08 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Honey-- they all look alike.

12:09 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Woo back s-

12:09 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks C. I thought it was better than it was when I was doing it, now I'm aware of how its a bit tight and boring.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Jan Verhulst said...

beautiful paintings!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home