Monday, October 29, 2007

Thunderbird and Boat more SLO




12x 16 oil on linen

I think this was the third day into the SLO paint- out. We went down to the Moro bay harbor to try and find and interesting old boat or run down wharf building inspiring enough to paint, but I found it all to renovated.
Lo and behold sitting bleaching in the sun in the farthest part of the parking lot was a rusty old thunderbird with a boat behind it. I had my subject.
As you might well imagine I got more than one onlooker questioning my choice of subjects. The running joke was they were used to artists facing in the other direction, painting the boats, yep.

The most determined one tried to get me to paint his near by docked boat; if I were more of a salesman I would have taken him up on it, my gut told me he would have bought the final product. I was already into the grove so I politely declined, regretting I didn’t at least make friends with the guy as I could have used a ride across the bay so I could paint the power station on another day.

The highlight of the day was when a guy around 40 or so wandered by said “hi “ and kept going, stopped, thought better of it and came back to talk to me. He was clean and well groomed, but pretty quickly I had the feeling he was staying at a half-way house of some kind either for mental patients or recovering abusers of some kind. He was talking a little fast and acting younger than he was, not dumb as much as overly nervous for his age. The biggest clue was he kept leaving then coming back with the “just one more thing” question, like Colombo on to much coffee.
My favorite moment from him came when he took out a “to do” reminder list in a little notebook. He wanted to show me the proof of what we had in common, how providential it was meeting me in the parking lot at this moment in time. Because on his list: along with getting a car, calling his Mom and doing the laundry was; learning how to paint.
He had many questions; I answered them all as best I could, gently, but seriously about the challenge ahead of him. He seemed to appreciate my forthright opinion and I could tell he was happy he made the effort to talk to me, but was grappling the daunting task ahead, could he do it? Clearly it was going to be a real effort. I could see him deflating a bit so I told him studying to be a great artist was one thing, but he could start painting just for fun anytime. That picked him up and he soldiered on with a jaunty lilt in his walk.

28 Comments:

Blogger SEILER said...

Dude, has anyone had the balls to tell you yet how much you suck? You should just give this whole painting thing up . . . . . then maybe I could sleep at night. THIS PIECE ROCKS MAN!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Kinman said...

i love the rustiness on that car.. excellent drawing too!

8:17 AM  
Blogger tonypetersart said...

You're probably right, you should have painted the guy's boat if you wanted to make a sale. But that old rusty tank of a car is pretty interesting too. You win for individuality and uniqueness. There's already plenty of plein-air guys painting boats.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Anonomous said...

Ok, you're a helluva good painter AND a great storyteller. This is much more interesting than a "boat portrait".

1:28 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

This is an awesome pic! Woot! Keep up the great work. What an inspiration!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Crawlspace said...

Wow, that's a really excellent car.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Bill thanks for being nice to that guy. That was important. By the way the painting has worked out fantastic.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

This is just great - the car is almost coming out of the picture! Really top stuff here

3:58 PM  
Blogger Bob Fingerman said...

It's great. Thing I love about your paintings is I always have such a good sense of what time of day they portray. The lighting really is beautiful.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Danny Griego said...

My second favorite painting of yours (Boyle Heights is the other). Beautiful atmosphere and light. Love the grill on the car. Beautiful painting William!

8:04 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks for the rocking suck balls Jason!

7:07 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Kinman--Your Art just keps getting better and your still a teenager!

7:08 PM  
Blogger idle. said...

Wonderful painting and a good story. I definitely need to get out more to do my drawings. Nothing beats either getting to know some (strane) strangers or finishing a day with a worthwhile picture. Thanks again for posting your paintings.

8:39 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Anytime Bill! But you rock HARDER!

10:02 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Tony . I do like to win.

9:11 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Materese, Now if I could only learn grammer.

9:14 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Steven-- keep taking those photos of rotten old stuff-- We love it.

9:18 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Crawl-- I like socks too.

9:21 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

sheila-- Enjoyed you latest-- keep it simple!

9:24 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Tim, It's a fave angle.

9:25 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Bob,

I've been loving the drawings you're posting. Keep sharing your muse.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Bob Fingerman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Bob Fingerman said...

Thanks again, Bill. I really ddig this painting and I meant to add that it's accompanied by a damned fine anecdote.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Ramsés Meléndez said...

Fantastic paintings!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

dang, a notch on your paint-box for saint-hood & a great painting to boot!! What an amazing day you had (thanks for the great story - loved it & the painting, too!!)

8:49 PM  
Blogger kim shields said...

I just stumbled onto your blog and I also like to find beauty in nonconventional places and things. I love your brushstrokes and colors on the old car. I love your work!

6:04 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Danny, we know yopu like old cars.

1:42 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Idle, yes got out there, you will never regret it.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home