Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Another Figure



12x9 Golden Open Acrylic on wood

I'm working on a lot of big paintings and a small hasn't dried yet. So here is a model study from last night done in Golden Open acrylic. Only my second shot with them on a figure, but I've been using them for landscapes again recently and am feeling more and more comfortable with them. My real issue with this one was the model; a sweet girl, but nodded off repeatedly for the first 3 hours causing my drawing to be off more that I'd like. On the forth hour she came back to life from her naps and told us stories about the remarkable life of being born in a biker bar, her father tying off her umbilical cord with his teeth whlie beating a guy to death. She’s proud of escaping her near Arkansas household appliances in the front yard fate; she's very relieved to have made it the glamorous Hollywood lifestyle. Her current goal is to get stoned and see that new end of the world movie, she hopes it will traumatize her a little as she’s bored not dodging bullets and having meth labs blowing up all around her.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger billspaintingmn said...

Say it ain't so Bill, the paintings
good, the story sucks.

8:25 PM  
Blogger billspaintingmn said...

I guess I mean to say it's sad how
tuff some people have it , is there
still hope? I hope so.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

Sounds like a keeper. Ha.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Michael Chesley Johnson, Artist / Writer said...

Nice painting - but poor girl! I hope she gets through the flames and comes out whole on the other side.

1:47 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Sounds like a classy lady. She showed you her character, you showed us her beauty.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fascinating post for all sorts of reasons, but the main one is well worth it - an emotive figure painting.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Maxnix said...

story and painting are really real feeling...I like both...a lot!

11:01 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Bill the hope is the meth lab dosen't blow up as quick as your teeth drop out.

4:26 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Pumml,

a very sweet kid, but models are crazy.

4:28 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

MCJ-- I think she has but there a millions apon Millions worse off than her.

4:29 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

BG and you made me so ashamed

4:30 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Mick

4:30 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Max!

4:31 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Meth labs blowing up?.. that's a movie I'd like to see.. zzwwing (bullet splitting the air). The model reminds me of one I have painted at another life drawing studio (ahem) who sullenly changed her pose during the 3 hour pose. The good painters overcame that while I struggled and ground my teeth. Your painting Will hits me more on the level of mood and texture nuance - it tells a story where perfect adherence to anatomy is not necessary or wanted. Top work..

8:43 AM  
Blogger Dean Grey said...

William!

Oh, I hate it when the model can't sit still!

But from this painting, you'd never know she nodded off at all!

Simple composition yet full of character and gritty looking brushwork.

Just great!

-Dean

1:20 PM  
Blogger Mike Manley said...

Yes, models are often crazy ;-)

Great to see you doing more figures. I have only done one acrylic painting of a figure so far and I think I'd like to do it more. Do you spray the paint to keep it wet or use one of those fancy wet palettes to extend drying time?

1:21 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Dean, I wish my drawing was on the level for it not to matter, but I'm so mad that this is "pretty Good" when It could have been a good + but thatks!

1:33 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Mike I use Golden open they don't dry as fast. I sometimes use a little of their "thinner," haven't tried the medium.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Donald Frazell said...

William, where do have the life drawintg sessions? I was going to one at the Santa Monica YWCA, but cant now as our business moved. It was only 1,3,5,10, and 20 minute poses. Could only get hands and body pieces usually, then maybe a full body to be refined later if we had a decent pose on the 20. CSULB has all day poses Saturdays but dont have time for that.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home